All of your emails are scanned before it's delivered to see if it scores above a certain threshold set by Microsoft.
Please note: Microsoft do not release any details about what rules are used to identify an email as spam. For some its as clear as the domain name (@spam.com) has been blacklisted for sending spam previously or some of the content is commonly found in spam or phishing content .
You will only be told about an email that has been quarantined once and they are only stored for 15 days.
After which we have no way of getting it back for you.
You will get a daily email summarising any emails that have been quarantined as shown below.
It's fairly self-explanatory but the actions below each message will allow you to do most of what you need to do.
What if I need to access my quarantine before the email summary comes through?
Microsoft 365 allows access for end-users to find and release quarantined messages within the 365 'Security & Compliance Center' here https://protection.office.com//quarantine
How do I add someone to my safe sender's list?
This needs to be done from Outlook Online (https://outlook.office365.com/), ideally on a computer, as some of these options aren't available on their mobile interface.
- Once logged in click on the gear in the top-right.
- In the panel that appears you can search in the box at the top enter 'Safe'
- Select 'Safe Senders and Domains'
- This will open the Junk email settings. Any of the sections in this form can accept full email addresses or full domain names i.e. @sjb.surrey.sch.uk would be our domain name.
- Select 'Add' under the Safe senders and domains section and enter the appropriate address(s) individually.
- Once complete click on 'Save'. Note: the save option is only there if the system detects a change.
What if it's still going into the quarantine after I've added the person to my safe sender's list?
We have had to put in place some rules to help protect against phishing attempts, requests to extort money out of people and for some safeguarding issues.
If you are still having issues then please contact the helpdesk so we can investigate further.